Late November
It's proper winter now with snow and everything. People are hurrying along, hunched into their woolies and resignation as xmas draws inexorably nearer with each day.
Seeing them, I can'thelp thinking how much better it would be to call a referendum on the whole Santa-and-sanctity shebang; its banishment from public consciousness might ironically lift the nation's spirits in a far more real and enduring sense than any amount of the usual tinsel/drivel/kith&kin cuddle combo.
If I'm right, this rather upbeat mood might even get sufficiently boosted to endure til Easter by January's bank and credit card statements. Now that would be worth celebrating...
Seeing them, I can'thelp thinking how much better it would be to call a referendum on the whole Santa-and-sanctity shebang; its banishment from public consciousness might ironically lift the nation's spirits in a far more real and enduring sense than any amount of the usual tinsel/drivel/kith&kin cuddle combo.
If I'm right, this rather upbeat mood might even get sufficiently boosted to endure til Easter by January's bank and credit card statements. Now that would be worth celebrating...

2 Comments:
Agree with you on "Santa-and-sanctity" but still find some magic as ice steals across the land... and the day dawns after the longest night.
...All of which is splendidly unburdened by any man-made constructs. Like quite a lot of the best things in life.
Post a Comment
<< Home