New Improved Headway
Now with real English!
Now with real English!
Intermediate
By The Sores
UNIT13
Meeting your maker
Degrees of certainty-present and future
PRESENTATION
It will happen to you too!
Read this. If you don’t understand, use a dictionary.
Melanie has worked at the undertakers for six years.
“Job security is very important to me,” she says.
“And that’s exactly what this place is all about,” she adds with a wink.
“I mean, you might think a nice public sector nine to five or some cushy number with them bleedin’ toffs in the city will keep the wolves from the door day in, day out, not that I would know, personally, but, like, at the end of the day, you’ve just got to use what sense you’ve got in this world, what with them sods always tinkerin’ with the bleedin’ benefits system, like.”
“Ya think I’m jokin’ don’t ya but, trust me, whenever I walk down the street, like, I look at them bleedin’ toffs in them Mercs an’ BMs, right, and then I think to myself, right ya buggers, ya might be getting some good innings now, a contract here, an end-of-year bonus there, but sure as eggs is eggs, sooner or later, right, you lot will ALL end up givin’ ME your custom, ya know what I’m sayin’?”
Comprehension questions
A. Where does Melanie work?
B. Why?
Grammar question
In the text, there are several examples of the modal verb will. Find them.
Now do the same with might.
Why are they followed by the infinitive?
By The Sores
UNIT13
Meeting your maker
Degrees of certainty-present and future
PRESENTATION
It will happen to you too!
Read this. If you don’t understand, use a dictionary.
Melanie has worked at the undertakers for six years.
“Job security is very important to me,” she says.
“And that’s exactly what this place is all about,” she adds with a wink.
“I mean, you might think a nice public sector nine to five or some cushy number with them bleedin’ toffs in the city will keep the wolves from the door day in, day out, not that I would know, personally, but, like, at the end of the day, you’ve just got to use what sense you’ve got in this world, what with them sods always tinkerin’ with the bleedin’ benefits system, like.”
“Ya think I’m jokin’ don’t ya but, trust me, whenever I walk down the street, like, I look at them bleedin’ toffs in them Mercs an’ BMs, right, and then I think to myself, right ya buggers, ya might be getting some good innings now, a contract here, an end-of-year bonus there, but sure as eggs is eggs, sooner or later, right, you lot will ALL end up givin’ ME your custom, ya know what I’m sayin’?”
Comprehension questions
A. Where does Melanie work?
B. Why?
Grammar question
In the text, there are several examples of the modal verb will. Find them.
Now do the same with might.
Why are they followed by the infinitive?
Language review
We use might when we are not sure about something in the present or future.
We might get old one day.
We might be old now.
We use will when we are sure about something in the present or future.
Melanie will always have work.
Melanie will be at work now, there is a black car parked outside.
PRACTICE
Put might and will into each gap.
We ……………..pass Melanie in the street one day.
We ……………..smile and say hi.
She………………smile and say hi too.
The last time ever we meet her, we……………..not be smiling and saying hi.
Speaking and listening
Work in pairs. Make three general statements about your partner using might or will. Think about your partner’s age, general health, etc. See if they agree with you.
We use might when we are not sure about something in the present or future.
We might get old one day.
We might be old now.
We use will when we are sure about something in the present or future.
Melanie will always have work.
Melanie will be at work now, there is a black car parked outside.
PRACTICE
Put might and will into each gap.
We ……………..pass Melanie in the street one day.
We ……………..smile and say hi.
She………………smile and say hi too.
The last time ever we meet her, we……………..not be smiling and saying hi.
Speaking and listening
Work in pairs. Make three general statements about your partner using might or will. Think about your partner’s age, general health, etc. See if they agree with you.

6 Comments:
Brindlecats, honestly - is this for real?!?!?
(I've yet to meet anyone who speaks like this.)
Yes, it's all true...Headway is going to be revamped along entirely new lines to reflect those bothersome twin demographics of chavdom and acute lexicosis.
You read it here first.
What's acute lexicosis?!
I remember thinking I was being decidedly outre (can't get it into italics) when I taught some Japs "I'm knackered" and "I'm skint". But let's be honest, this is far more common parlance than "I'm exhausted" and "I'm poor". Sounds like I needn't have worried!!
I can't believe Headway are doing this. It's such a reputable coursebook - used far and wide. But Melanie's undertake speech sounds like an April Fool's joke.
It is. Sorry Plymouth--all this is just my idea of a joke...Hmm...Maybe I should get out more.
Ha ha. Maybe! But it's also for that writers' club pastiche thing, reet? I'm not having much success doing Irving Welsh - no heart for it. Maybe I'll try Dickens.
That was Stu's task...If you're feeling stumped for ideas, why don't you try something non-literary, like recipes, news items, the shipping forecast, celta comments even?
Post a Comment
<< Home